Compounded medications help you enjoy the same benefits as commercially-available medicines. At the same time, they target your exact needs to help you effectively deal with your health problem. Besides, there are different reasons you may need compounded medicines that a compounding pharmacy in Hamilton can make for you. You may need compounded drugs for an alternative administration, a modified dosage, etc. Put differently, you may need compounded medications when commercially-available drugs cannot meet your needs.
Furthermore, you can get compounded medications from a compounding pharmacy. However, it is also important that you get compounded medicines from a reputable compounding pharmacy. All compounding pharmacies are not equal; thus, it is imperative to get compounded medications from a pharmacy that make safe and effective medications while sticking to strict standards.
Nonetheless, there is one question that you may have in mind about a compounding pharmacy. Do you need a prescription to get compounded drugs? In any case, we are going to help you find an answer to this question in this post.
People Also Read this Mental Focus: 10 easy Ways To Improve Your Concentration
What Is a Compounding Pharmacy?
Compounding is the process that entails the use of individual drug components and turning them into personalized medicines for patients via compounding. Put differently, compounding pharmacies create compounded drugs to address the specific needs of different patients. Besides, there are rare things in life that fit the needs of all or are One-Size-Fits-all (OSFA).
In any case, commercially-available drugs that pharmaceutical companies create are typically OSFA. For the same reason, mass-produced drugs are not beneficial in all situations. When mass-produced drugs cannot meet the specific needs of patients, compounding pharmacies come to rescue them. Compounding pharmacies best meet the needs of specific patients while providing them with personalized medicines.
Further, compounding pharmacies are slightly different from traditional pharmacies as they do not adhere to the OSFA approach. Additionally, they make compounded drugs while using some of the ingredients from FDA-approved mass-produced drugs. In a sense, compound pharmacists create compound drugs right from scratch.
Additionally, traditional pharmacies sell drugs that are more or less delivered in the same way. Contrarily, compounding pharmacies mix the ingredients to make compounded medications for patients. Further, they manipulate certain factors, like dosage and ingredients, to create compounded drugs, unlike traditional pharmacies.
How Can a Compounding Pharmacy Create Personalized Medicines?
A compounding pharmacy in Hamilton can create compounded medications for patients that suit their needs the best. Here are different ways how a compounding pharmacy can create personalized medicines for patients:
- Alternative Delivery Methods: You may have a pet or a child who may need a pill for a certain health condition. Nevertheless, swallowing medicines as pills is difficult for children and pets. It is where a compounding pharmacy can help, as it can make medicines available in alternative forms. For example, a compounding pharmacy can create medicines as transdermal pads, gels, liquids, etc., for patients. Put differently, it can create medicines for patients in alternative yet suitable delivery forms.
- Allergy Considerations: Commercially-available drugs often have dyes, colouring or artificial ingredients. Further, people with allergies cannot ingest mass-produced drugs for the same reason. It is also where a compounding pharmacy helps patients while getting rid of allergic ingredients from medicines. As a result, patients easily consume their medicines without encountering allergic or sensitive reactions to medicines.
- Varied Doses: Some drugs are beneficial for patients at certain doses. However, patients may not find mass-produced drugs in the right dose to treat their health problem. A compounding pharmacy can help patients here, too, as it can make compounded drugs available for patients in varied doses.
Do You Need a Prescription for a Compounded Medicine?
It is true that most compounded drugs are not FDA-approved. Nevertheless, all pharmaceutical activities in compounding pharmacies are regulated by pharmaceutical boards. For example, the Ontario College of Pharmacists (OCP) regulates pharmaceutical activities in compounding pharmacies in Hamilton. For the same reason, you need a prescription from a trustworthy medical practitioner to purchase compounded medications. In any case, contacting a compounding pharmacy can help you in this regard, too, as they have links with medical practitioners. To make a long story short, you will need a prescription from a trusted doctor to get a compounded medicine.
Compounded drugs help patients relish the same benefit as compounded medicines. Plus, they help patients fight their health problems while targeting their specific needs. When mass-produced drugs cannot meet the needs of patients, compounding pharmacies come to rescue them. In any case, a compounding pharmacy in Hamilton can help patients in different ways via its compounded medicines. Here are different ways how a compounding pharmacy can help patients via its compounded drugs:
- Making medicine available for patients in alternative delivery forms
- Adjusting the ingredients of medicines to make them suitable for people with allergies
- Adjusting the dosage of medicines for patients
Lastly, you need a prescription from a trusted practitioner to get compounded medicines, as most compounded drugs are not FDA-approved.